Curriculum - Ante Natal/Childbirth Education Course
Welcome to ante natal classes. The aim of this course is to explore and offer information regarding different aspects of childbirth suited to the different needs of individuals. Gynaecologist or midwife assisted births, natural or caesarean in a hospital setting.
The course offers six, 2 and a half hour sessions in the form of discussion, audio visuals, lectures, with a break for tea and allowing time to get to know other expectant parents.
- Introduction/anatomy and physiology/disorders/nutrition
- Labour and Birth
- Caesarean Section and assisted births
- Pain relief and procedures
- Parenting, Basic care of infant/bath/layette/Immunisations
- Postnatal, Immunizations
Dress/ comfortably and bring a pillow. Classes run from 17h45 to 20h30 every Tuesday. Partners are encouraged to attend. The cost of this course is R2100-00.including vat. A 50 % deposit is required on booking and the rest at the end of the classes. There will be no reimbursement for missed classes. Most medical aids will reimburse for ante natal classes. Statements will be given once you have paid for the course. Call for queries during office hours. Please contact Natalie or Sheila on 084 387 2388, if you are unable to attend the class during the course.
July 26th, Aug 2nd, 9th, 16th,23rd, and 30th.
Sept 13th,20th, 27th oct4th, 11th and18th
Nov 1st, 8th, 15th,22nd, 29th and Dec 6th
Sessions Are as follows
1) Welcome and introductions
3) Anatomy and physiology
4) Minor disorders of pregnancy
5) Emotional and physical changes in pregnancy
7) Birth partner-role
1) Signs and symptoms of onset of labour
2) Danger signs
3) Stages of labour
4) Birth video
1) Caesarean Section
1) Pain Relief (discussion of pain of labour, analgesia used and side effects)
2) Positions for labour and comfort measures
3) Induction of labour
4) Forceps Birth (not used commonly)
5) Vacuum extraction
7) Foetal monitoring
Session 5. Lacatation Consultant
1) The anatomy of the breast
2) The physiology of breastfeeding
3) Care of breasts before and during breastfeeding
4) Initiation of breastfeeding
5) Positioning the baby correctly/latching
8) Nipple confusion
1) Parenting, Depression, Life after Birth.
2) Baby layette and shopping list.
3) Care of the newborn.
4) Baby bath.
6) What to keep at home for baby (medicine etc).